Less than 24 hours after Sergio Perez announced he would be leaving Racing Point at the end of the season the team has confirmed that Sebastian Vettel will replace him after being dropped from Ferrari for next year.
The four time world champion had been linked to the seat ever since Ferrari announced he would not be with the team for 2021 despite Perez having a contract till 2022 and Lance Stroll being the son of the team owner.
The Racing Pint outfit will be entering a new era next season when it will be rebranded as Aston Martin who previously sponsored Red Bull and will become the 6th manufacturer team in the sport.
“I am pleased to finally share this exciting news about my future. I’m extremely proud to say that I will become an Aston Martin driver in 2021,” said the German in a statement by Racing Point.
“It’s a new adventure for me with a truly legendary car company. I have been impressed with the results the team has achieved this year and I believe the future looks even brighter.
“The energy and commitment of Lawrence [Stroll] to the sport is inspiring and I believe we can build something very special together.
“I still have so much love for Formula 1 and my only motivation is to race at the front of the grid. To do so with Aston Martin will be a huge privilege.”
The announcement comes on the eve of the Tuscan GP weekend where Ferrari will be celebrating their 1000th Formula 1 race in what has become their worst season in recent memory with Vettel just 13th in the standings with 16 points.
“Everybody at Silverstone is hugely excited by this news,” said team principal Ottmar Szafnauer.
“Sebastian is a proven champion and brings a winning mentality that matches our own ambitions for the future as Aston Martin F1 Team.
“On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Sebastian is one of the best in the world, and I can’t think of a better driver to help take us into this new era. He will play a significant role in taking this team to the next level.”