Williams have today announced that F2 driver Nicholas Latifi will join the team replacing the outgoing Robert Kubica and completing the 2020 grid.
Latifi had long been favorite for the drive after Nyck de Vries signed with Mercedes in Formula e and Nico Hulkenberg put himself out of the running. He is no stranger to the team tough having already completed 6 FP1 runs and 3 testing days with Williams.
The Canadian needed to finish 5th or higher in this years F2 championship in order to earn enough super license points to race in F1, he currently sits second with only the Abu Dhabi leg of the season to go. He will join 2018 F2 champion George Russell who moved to Williams in 2019.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the team this year,” said Latifi.
“Supporting them with the development of the car, and assisting wherever I can trackside and at the factory. I look forward to the journey ahead with the team, and I am excited to make my F1 debut at the Australian Grand Prix in 2020.”
Given Williams’ performance in 2019 his first season at least will be more about developing the car to become a regular points scorer, something neither of the current drivers have managed to achieve on merit.
This also means that the full 2020 grid of drivers is complete
- Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton & Valtteri Bottas
- Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel & Charles Leclerc
- Red Bull: Max Verstappen & Alexander Albon
- Mclaren: Carlos Sainz & Lando Norris
- Renault: Daniel Ricciardo & Esteban Ocon
- Racing Point: Sergio Perez & Lance Stroll
- Haas: Romain Grosjean & Kevin Magnussen
- Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat & Pierre Gasly
- Alfa Romeo: Kimi Raikkonen & Antonio Giovinazzi
- Williams: George Russell & Nicholas Latifi